- 1 Friendship mechanics
- 2 Universal Gifts
- 3 Achievements
- 4 Bugs
- 5 History
- 6 References
Each villager has a friendship score represented by a ten-heart meter (for a normal villager) or twelve-heart meter (for your spouse):
Each heart is 250 friendship points. You can view all heart meters on the social tab of the game menu.
When talking to villagers, a circle will appear next to their portrait. Its color will depend on the number of hearts you have with the villager. Blue denotes 0 hearts, green for 2, yellow for 4, red for 6, purple for 8, and at 10-12 hearts a purple star will appear. Hovering the mouse over the circle will display the number of hearts out of 10, if not married.
You can increase friendship points by:
- talking to villagers (+10 if the villager is in the middle of a special animation, like exercising or using a camera, otherwise +20; can only score once per day);
- completing a delivery quest for them (+150);
- giving them a gift they like (see Gifts);
- additional points for a second liked or loved gift in a week (see Gifts);
- making certain choices in their 심장 이벤트.
You can lose friendship points by:
- not talking to a villager (see Decay);
- giving them a gift they dislike (see Gifts);
- hitting them with a slingshot (-30, can only score once per day);
- rummaging through a trash can when they're within 7 tiles of you (-25, except Linus who doesn't mind). They will speak to indicate that they have seen you.
You may enter a villager's bedroom when the relevant heart meter reads at least 2 hearts. This level improves access to the villager for talking and gifting.
You receive (or deduct) friendship points as normal on a festival day, based upon any contact with a villager that happens outside of the festival itself. However, talking to a villager during a festival yields no friendship points, although it may reveal interesting information. You may, however, talk with a villager once outside the festival, and talk again during the festival, if the festival schedule and place permit it. But if attending the festival means you have no possibility of talking to a villager, you will still lose two friendship points.
Friendship points can increase up to a maximum of 2749 (one point less than 11 hearts), when you do talk or give a liked or loved gift to a villager whose heart meter is full.
With marriage candidates, the meter pauses at 8 hearts. It will stay that way forever unless you give the candidate a bouquet to indicate your romantic interest. If you do so, that meter is unlocked and operates as before until ten hearts is reached. It is possible to give a bouquet to any and all marriage candidates, and raise all their friendship levels to 10 hearts, without damage to your relationships with other romantic partners, so long as you have not yet proposed. (If you have proposed or are married, there is a chance your fiancé/spouse may become jealous.)
Dating all bachelors or bachelorettes may result in a Group Ten Heart event, which does not affect friendship, but may prevent you from giving gifts for one week afterwards.
When you propose marriage, the heart meters of all other marriage candidates convert to the behavior of all other villagers, since none are marriage candidates any longer. After the marriage ceremony, your spouse's meter unlocks once again. The social tab displays a 12-heart meter, but the friendship level actually can rise as far as 13 hearts.
Each day, not talking to a villager will slightly decrease their friendship unless their heart meter is full. When married, decay never stops — don't ignore your spouse!
|Relationship||Decay rate||When decay stops|
|gave bouquet||-8/day||10 hearts|
|not romanceable||-2/day||10 hearts|
You can give each villager one gift per day, up to two gifts per week, as indicated by the checkboxes in the social tab. For the purpose of gift-giving, the week begins on Sunday. If you give a villager two gifts in a week, that heart meter will rise an additional ten friendship points on Sunday morning when you get up.
You can always give a birthday gift to a villager, even if you've already given that character two other gifts that week. Glitch: If you do, one of the checkbox checks against their name will disappear. Even so, you cannot then give yet another gift that week.
You can give your spouse one gift every day of the week.
Each villager has individual likes and dislikes, which affects how many friendship points are gained when you give them a gift. The friendship points are multiplied on their birthday (×8) and Secret Santa event (×5):
|Gift Taste||Normal||Santa (×5)||Birthday (×8)|
If a gift is liked or loved, the points gained will be further affected by quality of the item:
각각 마을 사람들과 우정을 쌓는 것은 독특한 이벤트들을 볼 수 있게 해 줍니다 (자세한 것은 마을 사람들 문서 참고). 대부분의 이벤트들은 당신의 일상이나 불시에 발생합니다. 하지만 몇몇 이벤트들은 영구적으로 놓칠 수도 있습니다.
- 주요 문서: Marriage
Some villagers can be romanced by the player (see marriage candidates). Once you've reached eight hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a bouquet to unlock the ninth and tenth hearts. Once you've reached ten hearts with an eligible villager, you can give them a Mermaid's Pendant to propose.
After you've married a villager, they get an expanded twelve-heart friendship meter. Reaching the hidden thirteenth heart will net you a stardrop.
- 주요 문서: Quests
Completing an Item Delivery Quest awards 150 Friendship points with the requesting villager.
- 주요 문서: Festivals
Three festivals can affect friendship points with villagers:
- The Flower Dance increases friendship 250 points (one heart) with your dance partner, unless the partner is locked at eight hearts beforehand.
- The Luau can increase or decrease friendship points with most villagers (all except Sandy, the Wizard, Krobus, and the Dwarf).
- Your gift to your secret friend at the Feast of the Winter Star is worth 5x the normal amount of friendship points.
In addition, talking or giving gifts to villagers at the Night Market will increase friendship with them, in the same way as it does outside of festivals.
Bulletin Board Bundles
- 주요 문서: Bundles
Completing all Bulletin Board bundles improves the player's friendship rating with non-datable villagers by two hearts (500 points). Note that this applies only to non-datable villagers whom you have met in person. Villagers who do not show on the "Social" tab of the player menu and villagers whose names appear as "???" will not receive 500 points.
- See also: List of All Gifts
Below are lists of items that are universally loved, liked, considered neutral, disliked, or hated. Note that there are some exceptions and that individual villager tastes override any universal tastes.
Preferences for Eggs, Milk, Fruit, and most Foraged Items vary by villager, and are generally not listed here.
This is a list of items that every villager absolutely loves to receive as a gift. These items are guaranteed to give the most points (80) towards your relationship, but may be difficult to obtain.
Universal Loves exceptions
Though worth fewer friendship points than a loved gift, a liked gift increases friendship by 45 points, and is often much easier to obtain.
- All Artisan Goods (Except for Oil which is disliked, and Void Mayonnaise which is hated)
- All Cooking (Except for Fried Egg and Bread, which are universally neutral, and Strange Bun which is hated)
- All Flowers (Except for Poppy which is hated)
- All Foraged Minerals (Except Quartz which varies by villager)
- All Fruit Tree Fruits
- All Gems (Except Prismatic Shard which is Loved)
- All Vegetables including Fiddlehead Fern (Except Wheat and Hops which are Universal Neutrals)
- 생명의 영약
- 메이플 시럽
Universal Likes exceptions
This is a list of items that will elicit a neutral response from the villagers, and give 20 points toward friendship. There are some exceptions.
Universal Neutrals exceptions
- 엘리엇은 오리깃털을 사랑합니다.
- 에밀리는 양털을 사랑합니다.
- 에블린은 조개와 산호를 혐오합니다.
- 하비는 오리깃털을 좋아하고, 빵을 싫어하며, 산호와 앵무조개 껍데기, 그리고 무지개 껍데기을 혐오합니다.
- 레아는 송로버섯을 사랑하고, 계란 프라이를 싫어하며, 빵을 혐오합니다.
- 마루는 송로버섯을 혐오합니다.
- 페니는 오리깃털과 양털을 싫어하며, 홉을 혐오합니다.
- 샌디는 양털을 좋아합니다.
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 20 points when given as gifts.
- All Building Materials -- Battery Packs, Clay, Fiber, Hardwood, Stone, and Wood
- All Bombs
- All Crafted Floors & Paths
- All Fences
- All Fertilizer
- All Fish (except for Clam which is a Universal Neutral, and Carp & Snails which are Universal Hates)
- All Geode Minerals
- All Geodes
- All Seeds including Fruit Tree Saplings, Acorns, Maple Seeds, and Pine Cones
- All Sprinklers
- All Tackle
- Most Metal Goods -- Coal, Copper Bars, Gold Bars, Gold Ore, Iridium Bars, Iridium Ore, Iron Bars, and Refined Quartz
Universal Dislikes exceptions
- Abigail loves Pufferfish; hates Clay
- Clint loves Gold Bar, Iridium Bar, Omni Geode; likes Copper Bar, Iron Bar; is neutral toward Coal, Gold Ore, Iridium Ore, Refined Quartz
- Demetrius is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Dwarf loves Omni Geode; is neutral toward Solar Essence, Void Essence
- Elliott loves Lobster; likes Octopus, Squid; is neutral toward All Other Fish (except Carp & Snail); hates Sea Cucumber
- Evelyn hates All Fish, Clay
- George hates Clay
- Haley hates All Fish, Clay
- Harvey likes Spring Onion
- Jas hates Clay
- Krobus loves Void Egg; likes Gold Bar, Iridium Bar
- Leah likes Driftwood, Spring Onion; hates Void Egg
- Linus likes Spring Onion; is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Marnie hates Clay
- Maru loves Battery Pack, Gold Bar, Iridium Bar; likes Copper Bar, Iron Bar, Oak Resin, Pine Tar
- Pam is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp, Octopus, Snail & Squid); hates Octopus, Squid
- Penny loves Sandfish
- Pierre hates All Fish
- Robin likes Hardwood
- Sam loves Tigerseye; hates Metal Goods
- Sebastian loves Obsidian, Void Egg; is neutral toward All Fish (except Carp & Snail); hates Clay
- Vincent hates Clay
- Willy loves Catfish, Iridium Bar, Octopus, Sea Cucumber, Sturgeon; likes Gold Bar, Lingcod, Tiger Trout; is neutral toward All Other Fish (except Carp & Snail)
- Wizard loves Solar Essence, Void Essence; likes All Geode Minerals
This is a list of items that will decrease friendship by 40 points when given as gifts.
- All Artifacts
- All Bait
- All Monster Loot (except Solar Essence and Void Essence which are disliked)
- All Trash (except Driftwood which is disliked)
Universal Hates exceptions
- Abigail dislikes Sugar
- Dwarf likes Dwarf Scroll I, Dwarf Scroll II, Dwarf Scroll III, Dwarf Scroll IV, Dwarvish Helm, and Dwarf Gadget
- Krobus loves Void Mayonnaise
- Leah dislikes Seaweed, likes Driftwood
- Marnie dislikes Seaweed
- Penny loves Poppy, dislikes Red Mushroom
- Sam likes Joja Cola, dislikes Seaweed
- Shane dislikes Seaweed
- Wizard dislikes Slime
There are 6 Achievements related to Friendship:
- A New Friend (Reach a 5-heart friend level with someone)
- Best Friends (Reach a 10-heart friend level with someone)
- The Beloved Farmer (Reach a 10-heart friend level with 8 people)
- Cliques (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 4 people)
- Networking (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 10 people)
- Popular (Reach a 5-heart friend level with 20 people)
If you give a birthday gift to a villager when you've already given that character two other gifts that week, one of the checkbox checks against their name will disappear. This does not allow you to give an additional gift that week.
- 1.3: The Golden Pumpkin is now a universal love instead of a universal hate. Added new item, the Pearl, as a universal love.
- See Farmer::resetFriendshipsForNewDay in the game code.